SEE BELOW FOR DESCRIPTION
S028864 M44 DOT/PEA PATTERN CAMOUFLAGE FIELD BLOUSE & PANTS. (Tarnung Feldbluse und Hose M44)
BACKGROUND: The development of SS, Schutz Staffel, (Protection Squad), camouflage items was initiated by Reichsführer-SS, (National Leader of the SS), Heinrich Himmler in 1935 when he tasked the Reichsführung-SS, (National Leadership of the SS), to begin research of new camouflage patterns and garments for use by the fledgling SS-VT, SS-Verfugüngstruppe, (SS-Special Purpose Troops). In late 1936 and early 1937 the first SS camouflage garments were issued to personnel of the SS-VT Standarte Deutschland, (Regiment Germany), for field testing and evaluation. The first items evaluated were the Quarter shelters/ponchos, followed by steel helmet covers, face masks and smocks. As the war continued various other clothing items were introduced and produced in assorted camouflage patterns. Originally the camouflage patterns were all produced in the time consuming, manual screen printing fashion, until early 1940 when the machine rolled, screen, printing process was developed. By the end of the war no fewer then ten, new, assorted camouflage patterns had been developed and used by the Waffen-SS, (Armed-SS). The M44 "Dot/Pea", (Erbsenmuster), camouflage pattern was first introduced on March 1ST 1944, as a cost saving measure, for use with the new, two piece, camouflage uniform and was intended to replace all other SS camouflage patterns, resulting in widespread usage on a variety of garments. The M44 Dot/Pea camouflage pattern uniform was also designed to serve double duty by replacing both the earlier drill tunic and the camouflage smock. Originally most of the early models of the M44 Dot/Pea pattern camouflage uniforms were manufactured from stockpiles of dual sided, camouflage material with an HBT, (Herring Bone Twill), weave and the field blouse came outfitted with shoulder strap retaining loops and buttons and a factory applied sleeve eagle. By July 1944 the inclusion of the shoulder strap retaining loops and buttons and the factory applied sleeve eagle were discontinued. Additional regulations dictated that no collar tabs were to be worn on these tunics although it is not especially uncommon to find collar tabs applied. The pants for the M44 Dot/Pea camouflage pattern uniform were based on the earlier introduced, "Keilhose", style pants which were basically a cross between the standard straight legged long pants and the Mountain Trooper’s pants with minor variations. The "Keilhose" pants were designed for combat wear with the most noticeable features being a seat and crotch reinforcement panel and tapered cuffs which made gave them a rather sloppy appearance making them rather unsuitable for regular, off-duty wear. The M44 Dot/Pea pattern camouflage uniform was only suitable for warm climates and regulations dictated that the uniforms were to be returned to the units storage depots annually on November 1ST although the lack of supplies negated this directive and the uniforms were worn through-out the year. Of Note: The SS-FHA, SS-Führungshauptamt, (SS-Operational Headquarters), and the SS-WVHA, SS-Wirtschafts und Verwaltungs Hauptamt, (SS-Economic and Administration Department) were the two departments responsible for supplying and maintaining all personnel of the SS. The SS-FHA was responsible for issuing the initial equipment, supply and maintenance of weapons and ammunition, and the supply of technical equipment and transport vehicles. The SS-WVHA, was responsible for issue of clothing and personal equipment items as well as rations including horse and pack animal fodder and personal fuel items.
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Later, post-July 1944 pattern, cotton/rayon blend construction field blouse with an HBT, (Herring Bone Twill), weave and the machine printed dot pattern camouflage to the exterior. The camouflage pattern is predominately light brown with random spots of tan and assorted shades of green. The field blouse features a vertical, five button front closure with small fold back lapels, a single metal hook and eye positioned at the neckline and a lay down collar. The field blouse has four, non-pleated, patch, front pockets with straight edged button down flaps. The straight cut sleeve cuffs have a small vertical slash to the outside seam with dual fit adjustment buttons. The reverse of the field blouse has a central, vertical tail skirt vent and two vertical tapering darts. The waist line side panels each have two, vertically aligned, stitched eyelets for the belt support hooks. The reverse of the lay down collar has the typical zig-zag reinforcement stitching and the collar has no collar insignia or evidence of any ever having been applied as per regulations. The unlined interior of the field blouse is in the natural, unbleached crème color of the material with a faint bleed through of the exterior camouflage pattern. The interior of the field blouse has greyish/tan rayon reinforcements panels to the armpits and half way down the side panels with a vertical strap with three stitched eyelets for the belt support hooks to each side. The forward, bottom, right, tail skirt has a greyish/tan rayon field dressing pocket with a single button closure. The right side armpit reinforcement panel is well marked with faint black inkstamped size markings and, "Betr. Ra.", indicating, Betriebe Ravensbrück, (Factory Ravensbrück). Of Note: The Betr. Ra. marking indicates the field blouse was manufactured in the SS clothing works at Ravensbrück. The internal field dressing pocket is complete. The front closure and exterior pocket buttons are the field grey painted, pebbled, sheet metal type while the cuff buttons are the bakelite type and all appear to have their original stitching. The field blouse is roughly size 36.5" (92cm) chest. Also included are cotton/rayon blend construction, "Keilhose", style pants with an HBT, (Herring Bone Twill), weave and the machine roller printed Dot pattern camouflage to the exterior. The pants feature a vertical, four button French fly with an additional two buttons at the waistband. The pants have two, slightly diagonally angled, slash, front pockets with single button closures and a horizontal patch watch pocket situated just below the right waistband. The right waistband has a small horizontal fabric loop positioned above the watch pocket to secure the watch chain. The exterior waistband has four, vertical, button down, belt loops with one situated on either side of the front fly and two situated to the reverse center and an additional six, evenly spaced suspender buttons. The reverse right seat of the pants have a single horizontal slash pocket with a single button closure. The reverse of the pants also have two, small, vertical, tapering darts and the side panels each have a horizontal, fit adjustment strap with a corresponding, black painted, magnetic sheet metal gripper buckle to each. The legs each have a small vertical tapering dart to both the obverse and the reverse at the cuffs creating a slight taper. The cuffs each have a vertical outside seam slash with two stitched eyelets to the bottom edges and their original tie tapes. The interior waistband lining and the pocket bags are all constructed in ribbed white cotton/rayon blend material. The waistband lining has faint black size inkstamps and a Rbnr marking. Buttons all look to be original stitching. Metal components have some surface corrosion, but not too bad. Roughly a 38" waist. The tunic excellent condition and also includes an original collar liner. Nice set.
GRADE ****1/4 PRICE
To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail
MILITARIA WANTED! If you have items for sale, please contact us. We specialize in selling single pieces and entire collections. Over 3 decades in the business and we do all the work for you. Get the best return for your investment.
-E-Mail Address email@example.com Or firstname.lastname@example.org
To return to the main page please CLICK below
HOME (CLICK HERE)