S010480 ALLGEMEINE-SS EM/NCO'S M34 OVERSEAS CAP. (Feldmütze alter Art)

BACKGROUND: The Allgemeine-SS, (General-SS), was originally formed in May 1923 as the Stosstrupp Adolf Hitler (Shock Troops Adolf Hitler), and was redesignated Schutzstaffel, (Protection Squad), in April 1925 with the official acceptance of the name verified on the second anniversary of the failed Munich "Beer-Hall" Putsch on November 9TH 1925. On January 6TH 1929 Heinrich Himmler was appointed as Reichsführer-SS, (National Leader {of the} SS), and on July 20TH 1934 shortly after the, June 30TH 1934, purge of the SA on the "Night of the Long Knives", the SS was rewarded by Hitler by being granted the status of an independent organization under direct control of the NSDAP. From its inception the SS began an aggressive policy of expansion which resulted in the formation of the SS-SD, SS-Sicherheitsdienst und Sicherheitspolizei, (SS-Security Service and Security Police), in June 1931, the SS-VT, SS-Verfügungstruppe, (SS-Special Purpose Troops), and the SS-TV, SS-Totenkopfverbände, (SS-Death’s Head Units), in March 1933 which would eventually evolve into the Waffen-SS, (Armed-SS), in December 1939. Originally members of the fledgling SS had no official uniform or headgear until April 1925 when they adopted, what was to become known as the, "Tradition Uniform" and personnel were outfitted with the same brown shirt uniform and kepi as the SA, Sturm Abteilung, (Storm Troopers). In November 1925 SS personnel adopted a black kepi, necktie, breeches and border trim on their armbands to distinguish themselves from their SA counterparts. In June 1934 the first pattern "schiffchenform", (boat form), EM/NCO’s overseas cap was introduced and issued for wear until November 1940 when the second pattern overseas cap was introduced. Originally the first pattern overseas cap was produced in black until 1937 when the first earth grey version were produced. On its introduction the overseas cap had no insignia but shortly afterwards a button and a national eagle insignia were introduced. The first insignia for this style cap consisted of a pebbled button with no Totenkopf and a political style national eagle until a second pattern SS eagle was introduced in 1937 to replace the earlier political style eagle and is actually the first pattern SS cap eagle. SS Officers and certain senior NCO ranks were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms and as a result the SS established the SS-Kleiderkasse, (Clothing Account), system in Munich in 1935. The Officers and certain senior NCO’s were allotted a one time clothing allowance from the government with the amount varying depending on the individuals rank. The Officers and certain senior NCO’s could also choose to purchase privately tailored garments of higher quality although the price may have been restrictive. With the rapid expansion of the Waffen-SS after the outbreak of the war the SS-Kleiderkasse also expanded to include no fewer then nine main offices with offices located in some of the occupied countries including, Poland, Norway, France, Czechoslovakia and Russia. Of Note: The RZM, Reichzeugmeisterei, (National Equipment Quartermaster), was official founded in June 1934 in Munich by the NSDAP as a Reich Hauptamt, (State Central Office), and was based on the earlier SA Quartermaster’s Department. The functions of the RZM were not only to procure and distribute items to Party formations, but also to approve chosen designs and to act as a quality control supervisor to ensure items manufactured for the Party met required specification and were standardized. Starting in late 1934 items manufactured for the SS came under the quality control of the RZM and were marked by a cloth RZM/SS approval tag. The dimensions and design of these cloth tags was altered in 1935 and this second pattern tag remained in use until early 1938, when it was replaced by a paper tag. Of Note: In 1943 the Waffen-SS assumed full control over their uniform item production and no longer fell under the authority of the RZM.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Black wool construction cap with fold down side and back panels with downward sloping scallops to the front and the forward sides. The fold down side and back panels were designed to cover the wearers ears and neck in inclement weather. The removable Totenkopf button is missing. The left hand side fold down panel has a second pattern, machine embroidered SS eagle in matte silver/grey threads on an inverted, woven, black wool triangular base. The eagle is machine stitched to the cap with the top edge of the triangular base running parallel with the top edge of the fold down panel and the forward corner butting up against scalloped edge. The interior of the cap is fully lined in a black cotton/rayon blend material. The lining is well marked with a ink stamped size, "56" and "VT 1938". Both original SS/RZM tags are present. The cap is in overall very good condition with minimal nap wear and age toning. Nice cap, just needs a button for the front.

GRADE ****1/4                             PRICE $3,650.00

To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail

MILITARIA WANTED!  If you have items for sale, please contact us. We specialize in selling single pieces and entire collections. Over 3 decades in the business and we do all the work for you. Get the best return for your investment.

-E-Mail Address pawmac@nbnet.nb.ca  Or  guild@nb.aibn.com

To return to the main page please CLICK below

HOME (CLICK HERE)