SEE BELOW FOR DESCRIPTION

C01153 HUNGARIAN ARMY MILITARY POLICE GORGET.  

BACKGROUND: Hungary has a long tumultuous history dating back thousands of years to the founding of the Magyar dynasty by the Árpád family. In 1000 A.D. Pope Sylvester II sent a royal crown with an apostolic cross to the Maygar chief Vajk István, (Stefan), Árapád and conferred on him the title of King of Hungary. This resulted in the Hungarian heraldic symbolism being drawn from the Árapád family’s coat-of-arms which was utilized from that time right to the present. At the end of WWI the treaty of Trianon, (June 4TH 1920), forced Hungary to cede large parcels of land to the allies. The German conquests over, Czechoslovakia, Rumania and Yugoslavia, early in WWII all saw parcels of land annexed to Hungary, assuring their allegiance. In November 1940 Hungary signed the Tripartite Pact with Germany, and in June 1941 the Hungarian Army, (Honved), officially entered the war as an axis power. As with other armies the Hungarians fielded the military police with its personnel mostly drawn from the para-military Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie which had been established back in 1881. While performing policing duties both the military police and the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie were issued with an identifying gorget. Although the gorgets were of a slightly different for design for each police service it is believed that they were used interchangeable. Of Note: In the autumn of 1944 the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie was incorporated into the Hungarian army and served with distinction in the defence of Budapest until the final Hungarian capitulation on February 15TH 1945. 

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Injection molded, three piece, natural aluminum construction half-moon shaped gorget is roughly, 6 1/4" wide from upper tip to tip and 3" tall at the center with a raised lip to the outer edges and two separate rivetted on natural aluminum panels. One of the panels features an embossed, Hungarian coat-of-arms to the center which features St. Stefan’s Royal Hungarian Crown to the top positioned above a shield shaped bottom portion which is divided vertically into two sections. The left hand section of the shield features seven alternating smooth and vertically ribbed horizontal bars signifying the seven original Hungarian tribes, and the right hand section features an apostolic cross with dual horizontal arms on a vertically ribbed background field with a crown at the foot of the cross seated on a triple pronged base that represents the Tatra mountain range. The coat-of-arms are flanked on either side by upward diagonally angled oak-leaves. Positioned just below the coat-of-arms is a separate embossed banner with embossed script, "Tabori Biztonsag", which literally translates as Field Security but figuratively indicates Military Police. The script banner has a slightly pebbled, black painted, background field with the paint retained about 60%. Both of the separate panels are secured to the gorget base by three visible dome headed rivets. The solid reverse of the gorget has three, bent, natural aluminum suspension tabs with one positioned to each top tip and the third tab offset to the left center. Both of the tabs to the top tips were designed for the suspension chain and the third tab was designed to slip through a button hole on the uniform. The suspension chain is absent. All three tabs are secured to the gorget by dual small dome headed rivets. The reverse of the gorget is also well marked with a deeply stamped serial number, "16177". The gorget is in overall good condition with a few small scrapes and scuffs and light age dulling. Scarce, German manufactued, Hungarian Military Police gorget introduced in 1944.

GRADE ***3/4                             PRICE $899.00

To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail

-E-Mail Address pawmac@nbnet.nb.ca  Or  guild@nb.aibn.com

To return to the main page please CLICK below

HOME (CLICK HERE)