H060983 GROßDEUTSCHLAND ARTILLERY OBERLEUTNANT'S M36 SERVICE TUNIC. (Dienstrock)

BACKGROUND: The development of the M36 field blouse can be traced back to April 1933 with the introduction of the first pattern field blouses which were a departure from the cut and style of tunics utilized in World War I. From its introduction until 1936 the field blouse underwent a couple of small modifications designed to enhance its performance, appearance and longevity. Modifications to the 1933 pattern field blouse began in December 1934 when the original field-grey basic cloth collar was altered to a field-grey badge cloth for a better appearance. In September 1935 the collar was altered again from the field-grey badge cloth to dark blue/green badge cloth. The final pre-war modification to the field blouse occurred in December 1936 with the addition of a partial lining to the interior breast and upper back panels to increase its wear-out time. Officers and certain senior NCO ranks were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms and as a result were allotted a clothing allowance through the army’s Kleiderkasse, (Clothing Account), system. The Officers and certain senior NCO’s could choose to purchase their uniforms from the armed forces clothing depots or to privately purchase garments of higher quality. Although enlisted personnel were issued their uniforms from government supplies they were also permitted to purchase privately tailored uniforms although the price may have been restrictive. On the field blouse and service tunic the waffenfarbe was generally displayed on the shoulder straps/boards and the collar tabs. Of Note: The origins of the elite Panzer Division Großdeutschland may be traced back to the formation of the Wachregiment Berlin, (Guard Regiment Berlin), in 1921. The Wachregiment was tasked with guarding all the military installations within greater Berlin as well as providing security for State visit and formal functions but was soon disbanded after its formation as it was considered unpredictable and was reformed as Kommando der Wachtruppe, (Commanding Guard Troops). In the autumn of 1934 the Kommando der Wachtruppe was re-designated Wachtruppe Berlin and in June 1937 the Wachtruppe Berlin, (Guard Troops Berlin), was enlarged and re-designated, Wachregiment Berlin. On June 12TH 1939 the Wachregiment, was given Infantry regiment status and renamed Großdeutschland Infantry Regiment with its personnel eventually going on to form the cadre of the elite Panzer Division Großdeutschland in May 1942. On June 20TH 1939 special uniforms and insignia were introduced for all Großdeutschland personnel including the distinctive cufftitle and shoulder board/strap cyphers. Although the unique "GD" uniforms were placed in storage until altered and reissued in 1944, personnel of the regiment did utilize the shoulder board/strap cyphers and the distinctive cufftitle through-out the war.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Nice quality, private purchase, field-grey wool/rayon blend construction tunic with a subtle gaberdine weave. The tunic features a vertical, six button front closure with dual metal hooks and eyes at the neck. The tunic has four, pleated, front pockets with scalloped button down flaps. The right breast has a hand embroidered breast eagle in bright silver/aluminum wire and bullion threads with green accent threads, on a cut-out, dark blue/green badge cloth base. The eagle is neatly handstitched to tunic. Awards looks for three badges (Including a screw back EK1) and two ribbons bars. The straight cut, non-adjustable sleeves have deep, turned up French cuffs which are tacked into the upright position. The reverse of the tunic has a central, vertical tail skirt vent. Nice quality, black, doeskin, wool construction cufftitle features hand embroidered Sütterlin style script, "Großdeutschland", in bright, silver/aluminum wire threads. The cufftitle is bordered at both the top and bottom edges in horizontal, bright, silver/aluminum Russian braid. The tunic has sewn on shoulder boards of matte silver/aluminum Russian braid with a single stamped, gilt washed, alloy rank pip and "GD" cyphers to each. The tunic has a lay down, blue/green badge cloth collar with the typical zig-zag reinforcement stitching to the reverse. The collar features hand embroidered collar tabs in matte silver/aluminum wire threads with twisted bright red rayon branch of service stripes. The collar tabs are mounted on blue/green badge cloth bases which show through as the center stripe. The collar tabs are neatly handstitched to the collar. The interior of the tunic is fully lined in grey/green rayon with off-white striped sleeves. The lining has a horizontal slash pocket to the left breast and a small horizontal slash to the reverse of the external left hip pocket for the dagger/sword hanger. Partial tailors label remains. Original owner name and 1942 date to the interior pocket. The buttons are all the field-grey painted, pebbled, magnetic sheet metal type and appear to have their original stitching. Shows the expected period use and wear but overall nice condition. The tunic is roughly a size 32" to 34" chest. All original stitching to the insignia. Nice!

GRADE ****                             PRICE $5,500.00

To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail

MILITARIA WANTED!  If you have items for sale, please contact us. We specialize in selling single pieces and entire collections. Over 3 decades in the business and we do all the work for you. Get the best return for your investment.

-E-Mail Address pawmac@nbnet.nb.ca  Or  guild@nb.aibn.com

To return to the main page please CLICK below

HOME (CLICK HERE)