H030379 HBT COMBAT FIELD BLOUSE. (Feldbluse)
BACKGROUND: HBT, (Herring Bone Twill), uniforms were originally introduced on April 1ST 1933 to replace the earlier, Weimar Reichswehr era, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), work/drill uniforms and were intended to save wear and tear on the service uniform and the field blouse. Regulations prescribed that the work/drill uniform was the basic uniform to worn by all new recruits for most daily functions. Originally the work/drill uniforms were constructed in natural, unbleached cotton or cotton/rayon blends with an HBT weave that proved especially durable but relatively impractical due to easy soiling. The early work/drill tunics had no accommodations for the collar liner so the Reichswehr era neck cloth, (Halsbinde), was utilized until it was replaced with the collar liner as per regulations of February 12TH 1936, which resulted in collar liner securing buttons being added to the work/drill tunics. The early work/drill tunics also had button down flaps for the hip pockets but they were abolished, circa 1940. Regulations of February 12TH 1940 altered the color of the work/drill uniforms to a more practical reed green coloration. When utilized as a work/drill tunic the garments were issued with no insignia and regulations dictating that only EM’s sleeve rank and NCO’s collar trim insignia were to be applied to donate the wearer’s rank, although the order was not strictly adhere to. The work/drill uniforms were utilized for the duration of the war with minor modifications and were accompanied by a pair of basic, straight legged pants in the same material as the tunics and were cut in the same style as the standard issue long pants with minor variations. In early 1942 a modified drill tunic with additional pockets and accommodations for shoulder straps/boards was introduced for wear as a summer combat field blouse and followed the basic modifications of the standard issue field blouse through-out the war with the inclusion of the national breast eagle and rank insignia. The work/drill uniforms were seldom worn by Officer’s ranks although the later, reed green, HBT summer combat uniforms were worn frequently by Officers after their introduction in 1942. Officers and certain Senior NCO ranks were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms and as a result were allotted a clothing allowance through the army’s Kleiderkasse, (Clothing Account), system. The Officers and certain Senior NCO’s could choose to purchase their uniforms from the armed forces clothing depots or to privately purchase garments of higher quality. Although enlisted personnel were issued their uniforms from government supplies they were also permitted to purchase privately tailored uniforms although the price may have been restrictive. The German army originally adopted a slightly modified version of the NSDAP’s, Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, (National Socialist German Worker’s Party), national eagle by order on February 17TH 1934, with instructions to have it applied to all steel helmets, visor caps, and tunics by May 1ST 1934. Generally Officer’s ranks utilized hand or machine embroidered breast eagles while EM/NCO’s ranks utilized machine embroidered or machine woven breast eagles.
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Mid-war, (circa 1942), early pattern, reed green ,cotton/rayon blend construction field blouse with an HBT weave, features a vertical six button front closure with a single metal hook and eye at the neckline. The field blouse has two, pleated, patch, breast pockets and two, pleated, saddlebag style hip pockets with expanding side panels, all with scalloped edged, button down flaps. The right breast has a M39 pattern, machine woven national breast eagle in matte grey threads on a cut-out woven field-grey rayon base. The eagle is machine stitched to the field blouse, however it look restored to the tunic. The side panels of the field blouse each have three, vertically aligned, stitched eyelets at the waistline for the belt support hooks. The belt support hooks are absent. The reverse of the field blouse has a central, vertical, tail skirt vent and two vertical tapering darts. The two vertical tapering darts have been opened with stitch holes and crease lines as evidence. The straight cut sleeve cuffs have a small vertical slash to the outside seams with dual fit adjustment buttons to each. The fabric shoulder strap retaining loops and buttons are intact. The lay down collar has the typical zig-zag reinforcement stitching to the reverse. The collar features the second pattern, general issue, EM/NCO’s collar tabs as introduced on May 9TH 1940 for wear by all branches of service. Buttons are all the "S-Ring" removable type. Excellent size markings with a 1942 depot date. The field blouse is roughly size 38" chest.
GRADE ****1/4 PRICE $895.00
To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail
MILITARIA WANTED! If you have items for sale, please contact us. We specialize in selling single pieces and entire collections. Over 3 decades in the business and we do all the work for you. Get the best return for your investment.
-E-Mail Address firstname.lastname@example.org Or email@example.com
To return to the main page please CLICK below
HOME (CLICK HERE)