H028681 PANZER EM'S BLACK PANZER WRAP TUNIC. (Feldjacke fŁr Panzertruppe)

BACKGROUND: The black Panzer Wrap tunic was originally introduced by the army on November 12TH 1934, for wear by armored vehicle personnel and was worn through-out the war with minor modifications in 1936 and 1942. Allegedly Chief of the motorized troops, Oberst Heinz Guderian came up with the coloration and design of the form fitting uniform which he based on a popular ski outfit of the time. Black was chosen as the color as it help conceal the grease and grime commonly encountered by motorized personnel. Officers and certain senior NCO ranks were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms and as a result were allotted a clothing allowance through the armyís Kleiderkasse, (Clothing Account), system. The Officers and certain senior NCOís could choose to purchase their uniforms from the armed forces clothing depots or to privately purchase garments of higher quality. Although enlisted personnel were issued their uniforms from government supplies they were also permitted to purchase privately tailored uniforms although the price may have been restrictive. The German army originally adopted a slightly modified version of the NSDAPís, Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, (National Socialist German Workerís Party), national eagle by order on February 17TH 1934, with instructions to have it applied to all steel helmets, visor caps, and tunics by May 1ST 1934. Generally officerís ranks utilized hand or machine embroidered breast eagles while EM/NCOís ranks utilized machine embroidered or machine woven breast eagles. The different branches of service within the army were allocated a specific, identifying, waffenfarbe, (Branch of Service Color), with pink being chosen for Panzer, (Armored), personnel. Of Note: The general waffenfarbe for all armored units was pink although other colors were utilized including red for armored artillery units, golden yellow for armored reconnaissance units and the 24TH Panzer Division, lemon yellow for armored signals units and, for a short time, alternating black and white for armored engineer units. On the field blouse, service tunic and Panzer wrap tunic the waffenfarbe was generally displayed on the shoulder straps/boards and the collar tabs. Originally the Panzer wrap tunics also utilized the waffenfarbe as piping on the forward edge of the collar until regulations of mid-1942 abolished the use of the collar piping and instructed it to be removed from the tunics, although the directive was not strictly adhered to.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Second pattern, (Circa 1936), black wool/rayon blend construction, waist length, double breasted style tunic with fold back lapels and a large lay down collar. The left front closure panel of the tunic has four, hidden, button eyelets and an additional three, un-hidden button eyelets on the fold back lapel. The right front closure panel has four, large, corresponding buttons and three, smaller buttons all intact. The edge of the right front closure panel has an additional two, small, buttons positioned underneath the overlapping left closure panel with two, internal, fabric loops for a secure closure with a neat appearance. The tunic has a single, metal hook and eye positioned at the forward neckline. The right breast has an M36 pattern, machine woven national breast eagle with outstretched wings, clutching a wreathed, canted, swastika in itís talons in white rayon threads on a woven, black, rayon base. The eagle is machine stitched to the tunic. The obverse of the tunic has two, diagonally angled, tapering darts while the reverse of the tunic has two, vertical, tapering darts and a central, vertical, seam. The sleeve cuffs each have a small, vertical, outside seam slash with dual fit adjustment buttons to each. The tunic has black wool construction shoulder straps with pink wool waffenfarbe piping. The shoulder straps have been directly sewn to the tunic shoulders all the way around the entire edges. The tunic has a large lay down collar with the typical zig-zag reinforcement stitching to the reverse and exaggerated, forward, pointed tips. The collar has no waffenfarbe piping as per regulations of mid-1942. The collar features the elongated, black wool construction collar tabs with the typical, silver washed, stamped, alloy, Danziger style Totenkopf cyphers and pink wool waffenfarbe piping to the outside edges. The collar tabs are machine stitched to the collar. The interior breast panels are lined in subtly ribbed, grey cotton/rayon blend material. The lining has a horizontal slash, patch pocket to the right breast panel and a vertical slash, patch pocket to the left breast panel. The lining also has the vertical, grey cotton/rayon belt support straps with six stitched eyelets to each, positioned to each side at the waistline. The interior also has two, horizontal, grey cotton/rayon strips with tunnel looped, black cotton fit adjustment straps, with an HBT, (Herring Bone Twill), weave, positioned at the reverse waistline. All original buttons and stitching. The upper, left, breast panel is well marked with black size inkstamps, the tailorís acronym and location, "Dekawe. F.fm." and, "F. 40", indicating the tunic passed through the armyís clothing depot in Frankfurt in 1940. The tunic is roughly size 38" to 40" chest. Collar tabs, shoulder straps and breast eagle eagle are all restored to the tunic. Excellent condition tunic by a well known maker. EMís wraps are getting tough to find.

GRADE ****1/2                             PRICE $5,995.00

To Order this item, please use one of the two e-mail addresses below to contact us. Please make sure to quote the item number in your e-mail

MILITARIA WANTED!  If you have items for sale, please contact us. We specialize in selling single pieces and entire collections. Over 3 decades in the business and we do all the work for you. Get the best return for your investment.

-E-Mail Address pawmac@nbnet.nb.ca  Or  guild@nb.aibn.com

To return to the main page please CLICK below

HOME (CLICK HERE)